Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

video Aerospace & Defense

Uzbek man 'planned attack for number of weeks': NYPD

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:26

John Miller, deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism for the NYPD, says the suspect in Tuesday's vehicle attack appeared to have planned it over a number of weeks, and executed it in the name of Islamic State. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) The suspect in the attack that killed eight people in New York appeared to have planned the incident for a number of weeks and carried out the attack in the name of Islamic State, officials said on Wednesday (November 1). The suspect, identified by authorities as Sayfullo Saipov, who was shot by police and arrested moments after the Tuesday rampage in lower Manhattan, left notes written in Arabic that said Islamic State "will endure forever," said John Miller, deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism for the New York Police Department. Miller said Saipov had rented the pickup from a Home Depot Inc hardware store in Passaic before driving into New York and carrying out the attack. It was the deadliest single attack on New York City since Sept. 11, 2001, when suicide hijackers crashed two jetliners into the World Trade Center, killing more than 2,600 people. A further 11 people were injured in Tuesday's attack. Similar assaults using vehicles as weapons took place in Spain in August and in France and Germany last year.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Uzbek man 'planned attack for number of weeks': NYPD

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 01:26