- Ukraine's Zelenskiy, irked by interpreter, translates own comments, article with imageEurope ·
August 18, 2022 · 9:22 PM UTC· undefined ago
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, irked by a translator's failure to interpret his comments properly into English at a major news conference, on Thursday took over the job himself.
- EuropeSources say blasts hit area near Russian air base, Moscow says no damage done
At least four explosions hit an area near a major Russian military airport in the annexed peninsula of Crimea on Thursday, three local sources said, but a pro-Moscow official said no damage had been done.
- EuropeUkrainian celebrity crowdfunds radar satellite for armed forces
A well-known Ukrainian TV host has crowdfunded a gift to help Ukraine's armed forces beat back Russia's invasion: usage rights to a radar satellite that can see through clouds.
- EuropeRussian villagers evacuate after ammunition base fire near Ukraine border, official says
The inhabitants of two villages in southern Russia near the Ukrainian border were evacuated on Thursday after a nearby ammunition storage depot caught fire but no one was hurt, an official said.
- AfricaJailed activist Alaa Abd el-Fattah escalates hunger strike in Egypt, family seeks help
Jailed Egyptian-British activist Alaa Abd el-Fattah has escalated his five-month hunger strike, a family member told Reuters, eliminating his meagre intake of solids as part of his campaign to protest his detention.
- EuropeVenice fines 'imbecile' tourists for surfing down the Grand Canal
Two foreign tourists who sped down Venice's famous Grand Canal on motorised surf boards have been identified and fined, city authorities said.