- Kenyans, desperate for change, must choose new president from familiar faces, article with galleryAfrica ·
August 9, 2022 · 7:50 AM UTC· undefined ago
Kenyans started voting for lawmakers and a new president early on Tuesday, but many citizens desperate for relief from spiking food prices and deep-rooted corruption have little confidence the next government will deliver any change.
- AfricaGhana 'disappointed' by S&P rating downgrade, promises turnaround
Ghana's finance ministry expressed disappointment on Monday at Standard and Poor's downgrading the West African nation's sovereign credit rating, but said it was determined to quickly emerge from its economic rut.
- AfricaAlgeria retrieves bodies of seven African migrants after boat capsizes, Ennahar TV reports
Algerian authorities have retrieved the bodies of seven African migrants whose boat capsized offshore, Ennahar TV reported on Monday.
- AfricaSuspected Islamists kill 20 in east Congo village attacks
Suspected Islamist militants killed around 20 people in attacks on two villages in eastern Congo over the weekend, the army and a local human rights group said on Sunday.
- AfricaTanzania to reduce liquidity in second half of the year to tackle inflation
Tanzania will reduce liquidity over the rest of 2022 in order to tackle a surge of inflation, the central bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) said on Saturday.
- AfricaU.N. report links Malian, 'white-skinned' troops to civilian deaths
Malian government troops and "white-skinned soldiers" detained 33 civilians in central Mali in March who were later found shot dead and their bodies burned, sanctions monitors told the U.N. Security Security Council in a report seen by Reuters on Friday.