South Africa aware of legal obligations regarding Putin visit
By Reuters
Presidential Spokesperson Vincent Magwenya gives updates to the media at parliament on section 89 independent panel report against South African president Cyril Ramaphosa in Cape Town, South Africa, December 1, 2022. REUTERS/Esa Alexander Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab
JOHANNESBURG, March 19 (Reuters) - South Africa is aware of its legal obligation, a spokesperson for President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Sunday, referring to a proposed visit by Vladimir Putin after an international court issued an arrest warrant against the Russian leader.
Russian President Putin was expected to visit South Africa in August to attend a BRICS summit.
"We are, as the government, cognisant of our legal obligation. However, between now and the summit we will remain engaged with various relevant stakeholders," spokesperson Vincent Magwenya said.
While there has been no official confirmation of Putin's visit, he has been expected to attend the 15th BRICS summit, as he did in 2013.
But such a visit would place Ramaphosa's government, which has not condemned Russia's invasion of Ukraine, in a precarious position after the arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Friday.
"We note the report on the warrant of arrest that the ICC has issued," Magwenya said.
"It remains South Africa's commitment and very strong desire that the conflict in Ukraine is resolved peacefully through negotiations."
Jury selection kicked off in a criminal case against Hunter Biden, a historic prosecution that could further influence the 2024 presidential election four days after Joe Biden's rivalDonald Trump became the first former U.S. president to be convicted.
А group of Russian women staged a small but rare protest outside the Defence Ministry in Moscow on Monday to demand the return of mobilised soldiers from the front in Ukraine.
Prosecutors in Minnesota on Sunday dismissed charges against a state trooper accused of unintentional murder and manslaughter in the shooting death of Black motorist Ricky Cobb II last year, citing new evidence that weakened their case.