Iran says it arrested 35 people in relation to deadly Kerman attacks

DUBAI, Jan 11 (Reuters) - Iranian authorities have arrested 35 people in relation to the Jan. 3 attacks in the southeastern city of Kerman, the Intelligence Ministry said on Thursday, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency.
The ministry said it had identified one of the two suicide bombers as a national of Tajikistan, who entered Iran illegally on Dec. 19.
More information will be released at a later date about the second suicide bomber, the ministry said, adding that the arrests had been carried out in several Iranian provinces.
The Islamic State claimed responsibility on Jan. 4 for the attack that killed nearly 100 people and wounded 284, at a memorial for top commander Qassem Soleimani.
Tehran has vowed revenge for the bloodiest such attack since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

The Reuters Daily Briefing newsletter provides all the news you need to start your day. Sign up here.

Reporting by Dubai Newsroom; editing by Christina Fincher and Ros Russell

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab

Purchase Licensing Rights