Russian forces withdrawing from northern Ukrainian region - governor

1 minute read

A view shows market buildings damaged by shelling, as Russia's attack on Ukraine continues, in Chernihiv, Ukraine, in this handout picture released March 20, 2022. Press service of the National Police of Ukraine/Handout via REUTERS

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

April 1 (Reuters) - Russian forces are withdrawing from the Chernihiv region of northern Ukraine but have not yet left entirely, the local governor said in a video address on Friday.

"Air and missile strikes are (still) possible in the region, nobody is ruling this out," Governor Viacheslav Chaus said, adding that Ukrainian forces were entering and securing settlements previously held by Russian troops.

Chaus said it was still too early for Ukrainian forces in the Chernihiv region to let their guard down as Russian troops "are still on our land." Russia said on Tuesday it would scale down operations in the Chernihiv and Kiev regions.

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com
Reporting by Natalia Zinets, Writing by Max Hunder, Editing by Timothy Heritage

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.