White House launches new pandemic office to be led by retired general

A general view of the White House in Washington
A general view of the White House, where over the Fourth of July holiday weekend cocaine was discovered in an entry area where visitors place electronics and other belongings before taking tours, in Washington, U.S. June 12, 2023. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab
WASHINGTON, July 21 (Reuters) - The White House on Friday launched an office to prepare for and respond to potential pandemics, to be led by Paul Friedrichs, a military combat surgeon and retired Air Force major general who helped lead the Pentagon's COVID response.
The new Office of Pandemic Preparedness and Response Policy will also take over the duties of President Joe Biden's current COVID-19 and mpox response teams, the White House said.
The office will be a charged with "leading, coordinating, and implementing actions related to preparedness for, and response to, known and unknown biological threats or pathogens that could lead to a pandemic or to significant public health-related disruptions in the United States," its statement said.
Biden announced Friedrichs as the office's inaugural director. Friedrichs is currently special assistant to the president and senior director for Global Health Security and Biodefense at the White House National Security Council.
The White House had been expected to cut down its COVID response team after the U.S. government in May ended its COVID Public Health Emergency, opens new tab. Biden said in September, opens new tab last year he believed the coronavirus pandemic was over in the United States.
In June, the White House announced the departure of Ashish Jha, opens new tab, the last of the Biden administration's rotating COVID response coordinators.

Sign up here.

Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Washington; Editing by Alison Williams

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab

Purchase Licensing Rights

Thomson Reuters

Kanishka Singh is a breaking news reporter for Reuters in Washington DC, who primarily covers US politics and national affairs in his current role. His past breaking news coverage has spanned across a range of topics like the Black Lives Matter movement; the US elections; the 2021 Capitol riots and their follow up probes; the Brexit deal; US-China trade tensions; the NATO withdrawal from Afghanistan; the COVID-19 pandemic; and a 2019 Supreme Court verdict on a religious dispute site in his native India.