President Vladimir Putin said on Friday the United States and NATO had not addressed Russia's main security demands in their standoff over Ukraine but that Moscow was ready to keep talking.
- SportsAmid pandemic and protest, Olympics return to a changed China
The Beijing Winter Olympics kick off in a week, putting sports at centre-stage following preparations that have been clouded by diplomatic boycotts and the COVID-19 pandemic that has forced the Games into a tightly sealed bubble.
- MarketsMorning Bid: Transatlantic split
A look at the day ahead from Sujata Rao.
- Macro MattersU.S. consumer spending declines; inflation pressures rising
U.S. consumer spending fell in December, suggesting the economy lost speed heading into the new year amid snarled supply chains and raging COVID-19 infections, while annual inflation increased at a pace last seen nearly 40 years ago.
- EuropeIn Italy, COVID wards filled with unvaccinated elderly people as Omicron swept nation
- EuropePfizer COVID pill gets final approval from European Commission
- United KingdomBritain to start rolling out Pfizer COVID pill next month
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsMerck's COVID-19 pill active against Omicron in lab studies
- AmericasAnti-vaccine Canada truckers roll toward Ottawa, praised by Tesla's Musk
- WorldWHO examining allegations official abused staff, leaked vaccine data to Japan
- WorldAustralia suffers deadliest day of pandemic, expands booster eligibility
Special ReportWho owns Scotland?
The millionaires buying up the Highlands