Firefighters from across Europe came to France's rescue on Friday to battle a massive wildfire, while parts of England faced a severe drought, as successive heatwaves on the continent renewed the focus on climate change risks.
- WorldUkraine, Russia trade blame for risk of nuclear disaster at frontline plant
Ukraine and Russia accused each other on Friday of risking nuclear disaster by shelling Europe's largest nuclear power plant, occupied by Russian forces in a region expected to become one of the next big front lines of the war.
- Macro MattersTroubled UK economy rides out Jubilee disruption, but recession looms, article with video
Britain's economy contracted by less than feared in June, when public holidays had been expected to exert a big drag.
- LegalNew York gun bans alarm residents of upstate bear country
Albany's creation of a list of locations that turn many places into gun-free zones clashes with what has long been a way of life in the Adirondack mountains.
- U.S. House set to give Biden new win with $430 billion bill on climate, drug prices, article with galleryMacro Matters ·
August 12, 2022 · 12:15 PM UTC
The U.S. House of Representatives will vote Friday on a $430 billion bill to fight climate change and lower prescription drug prices, in what Democrats view as a major political win for President Joe Biden ahead of November's midterm elections.
- Biden advisers push early launch of his 2024 presidential campaign, article with imageUnited States ·
August 12, 2022 · 11:36 AM UTC
U.S. President Joe Biden should announce his candidacy for re-election sooner than usual following November's congressional race in a bid to squash speculation about the Democrat's plans ahead of the 2024 campaign, several sources said.