Significant damage was reported along the western coast of Tonga's main island and outer islands on Tuesday following a massive volcanic eruption and tsunami, but a closed airport and downed communications are hampering international relief efforts.
- TechnologyMajor U.S. airline CEOs warn 5G could ground some planes, wreak havoc
The chief executives of major U.S. passenger and cargo carriers on Monday warned of an impending "catastrophic" aviation crisis in less than 36 hours, when AT&T and Verizon are set to deploy new 5G service.
- Asia PacificNorth Korea fires two ballistic missiles from Pyongyang airport, South Korea says
North Korea fired two suspected short-range ballistic missiles (SRBM) on Monday from an airport in its capital city of Pyongyang, South Korea's military reported, the fourth test this month to demonstrate its expanding missile arsenal.
- United StatesU.S. appeals court delays legal challenge to Texas abortion law
A U.S. appeals court on Monday handed a defeat to abortion clinics by delaying a legal challenge to a Texas law banning most abortions in that state.
- Asia PacificAustralia suffers deadliest day of pandemic as Omicron drives up hospital cases
- EuropeReturn of the flu: EU faces threat of prolonged 'twindemic'
- European MarketsAnalysis: China's 'zero-COVID' campaign under strain as Omicron surges
- ChinaChinese cities on high COVID-19 alert as Lunar New Year travel season starts; Omicron spreads
- EuropeFrench COVID hospitalisations see biggest jump since Nov 2020
- United States'Upside down again': Omicron surge roils U.S. small businesses
- United KingdomCOVID review for England could come this week, early next - source