- WorldUkraine, Russia trade blame for risk of nuclear disaster at frontline plant, article with video
Ukraine and Russia accused each other on Friday of risking nuclear disaster by shelling Europe's largest nuclear power plant, occupied by Russian forces in a region expected to become one of the next big front lines of the war.
- WorldAnalysis: China's Taiwan military drills offer spying opportunity for U.S.
While China's expanded drills surrounding Taiwan have marked an unprecedented military and political warning against outside interference over the island, they opened a window to gather intelligence for the United States and its allies.
- WorldIran may accept EU proposal to revive nuclear deal if demands met, IRNA reports, article with gallery
A European Union proposal to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal “can be acceptable if it provides assurances" on Tehran's key demands, the state news agency IRNA said on Friday, quoting a senior Iranian diplomat.
- LegalNew York gun bans alarm residents of upstate bear country
Albany's creation of a list of locations that turn many places into gun-free zones clashes with what has long been a way of life in the Adirondack mountains.
- Risk of new wildfires in southwestern France as heatwave persists, article with videoWorld ·
August 12, 2022 · 10:41 AM UTC
High temperatures and a worsening drought brought a high risk of new fires breaking out in southwestern France, officials said on Friday, even after an overnight reprieve held a monster wildfire that has been raging for days in check.
- Biden advisers push early launch of his 2024 presidential campaign, article with imageUnited States ·
August 12, 2022 · 11:36 AM UTC· undefined ago
U.S. President Joe Biden should announce his candidacy for re-election sooner than usual following November's congressional race in a bid to squash speculation about the Democrat's plans ahead of the 2024 campaign, several sources said.