The family of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and their supporters, some shouting, “Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Voter suppression has got to go,” marched in Washington on Monday urging passage of a law to protect voters from racial discrimination.
- United StatesTexas synagogue hostages had offered their captor tea
Worshippers invited a stranger into a Texas synagogue when he knocked on their door and offered him tea before he brandished a gun and held them hostage in a 10-hour siege the FBI called a "terrorism-related matter, in which the Jewish community was targeted."
- WorldSignificant damage reported on Tonga's main island after volcanic eruption
Significant damage was reported along the western coast of Tonga's main island on Tuesday and the death of a British woman was confirmed following the weekend's massive volcanic eruption and tsunami.
- United StatesLawsuit against Amazon filed in tornado swarm that left 6 dead in Illinois warehouse
The family of an Amazon.com delivery truck driver in Illinois who died in December when a warehouse was destroyed by a swarm of tornadoes that killed six people there, filed a lawsuit against the online retailer on Monday over his death.
- EuropeReturn of the flu: EU faces threat of prolonged 'twindemic'
- European MarketsAnalysis: China's 'zero-COVID' campaign under strain as Omicron surges
- ChinaChinese cities on high COVID-19 alert as Lunar New Year travel season starts; Omicron spreads
- EuropeFrench COVID hospitalisations see biggest jump since Nov 2020
- United States'Upside down again': Omicron surge roils U.S. small businesses
- Asia PacificAustralia PM blames Omicron for testing woes as COVID-19 cases hit downward trend
- United KingdomCOVID review for England could come this week, early next - source