U.S. President Joe Biden said on Tuesday he would consider personal sanctions on President Vladimir Putin if Russia invades Ukraine, as Western leaders stepped up military preparations and made plans to shield Europe from a potential energy supply shock.
- MarketsAsian shares cautiously higher as investors await Fed policy update
Asian share markets got off to a cautious start on Wednesday, after another volatile Wall Street session, as investors braced for the outcome of the Fed's meeting late in the day and any hints about faster tightening of monetary policy.
- BreakingviewsThe Exchange: Morgan Stanley’s James Gorman
After a year of record revenue and global dislocations, the Wall Street CEO considers the future of wealth.
- Asia PacificRelief efforts ramping up in Tonga, more aid arrives
Humanitarian aid to Tonga was ramping up after the airport was cleared of ash, making it safe for planes to land, the Red Cross said on Wednesday, days after a volcanic eruption and tsunami devastated the South Pacific archipelago.
- United StatesCOVID is less severe with Omicron than Delta, U.S. study suggests
- Future of HealthCannabis compound CBD stops coronavirus in test tube, but can it treat COVID?
- United KingdomEnglish COVID study finds record prevalence in January
- ChinaU.S. considers allowing diplomats to leave China over strict COVID rules
- United StatesNew York state mask mandate back in effect as judge grants stay in appeal
- Asia PacificS.Korea's daily new COVID count exceeds 13,000 for first time
- The Great RebootExplainer: Germany plans vaccine mandate amid qualms over rights
GraphicsGender and language
The movement to recognize a spectrum of genders is changing languages around the world.