U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken met European allies in Berlin on Thursday, seeking to present a united front ahead of last-ditch crisis talks with Russia aimed at preventing Moscow from attacking Ukraine.
- Asia PacificTongans deafened by volcanic blast as they fled for safety
When Tonga's Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano violently erupted, sending shockwaves and tsunami across the Pacific, the blast in the small island nation was so deafening that fleeing families could only wave at their loved ones to run.
- MarketsMorning Bid: "Moving in" (on stock market bargains)
A look at the day ahead from Sujata Rao.
- ChinaChina says it warned away U.S. warship in South China Sea, U.S. denies
Chinese forces followed and warned away a U.S. warship which entered waters near the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea, the country's military said on Thursday, but the U.S. Navy denied the ship had been warned off.
- United StatesU.S. to distribute 400 million free N95 masks at CVS, Walgreens in COVID fight
- Future of HealthCheap version of Merck COVID pill to be made for poorer nations
- The Great RebootBetting Omicron has peaked, PM Johnson drops COVID rules in England
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsNew Mexico asks National Guard to teach as COVID shuts schools
- ChinaBeijing city raises vigilance as local COVID cases tick higher before Olympics
- United StatesFlorida suspends health official who urged staff to get vaccinated
- WorldNew Zealand rules out lockdowns as it prepares for Omicron outbreak