The death toll from earthquakes that struck Turkey and Syria this week neared 16,000 on Thursday, as hopes faded of many people being found alive 72 hours since the disaster and frustration simmered over the slow delivery of aid.
- TechnologyAlphabet shares dive after Google AI chatbot Bard flubs answer in ad
Alphabet Inc lost $100 billion in market value on Wednesday after its new chatbot shared inaccurate information in a promotional video and a company event failed to dazzle, feeding worries that the Google parent is losing ground to rival Microsoft Corp .
- WorldZelenskiy takes pitch for weapons, EU membership talks to Brussels
Ukraine president expected to address the European Parliament.
- WorldAustralia orders checks on Chinese-made cameras in defence offices
The checks come after Britain asked its departments to stop installing Chinese-linked surveillance cameras, citing security risks. Some U.S. states banned vendors and products from several Chinese tech firms.
Wider ImageCuban fishing village ponders its options as U.S. policy shifts
- Asia PacificFour dead in 5.2-magnitude quake in Indonesia's Papua
At least four people were killed and several buildings damaged after a shallow, 5.2-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia's easternmost region of Papua on Thursday, the country's disaster agency said.
- In Wisconsin, Biden touts 'deal' with Republicans on Social SecurityUnited States ·
February 8, 2023
Fresh off a State of the Union speech to Congress that challenged opposition Republicans to help unite the country, President Joe Biden embarked on a tour of U.S. states crucial to his expected 2024 re-election bid.