The week in bank CEO pay packages: Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman gets a 6% raise to $35 million in total compensation, while JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon gets 9.5% for a total of $34.5 million … British pubs, restaurants and bakery chains are coming after some of the world’s biggest insurers in court … And the U.S. Fed has a white paper out on issuing its own digital currency
Russia will face severe economic sanctions if it installs a puppet regime in Ukraine, a senior UK minister said on Sunday after Britain accused the Kremlin of seeking to install a pro-Russian leader there.
- Middle EastPenny pinching and power cuts; Lebanon's middle class squeezed by crisis
Lebanese school teacher Sara Wissam and her husband were comfortably off before a run on the local currency decimated the value of their salaries and dragged them towards poverty.
- Asia PacificTonga struggles with ash, psychological trauma after eruption and tsunami
Communication with the outside world remained difficult, with few internet services, and outlying islands cut off from phone service.
- EuropeVatican fraud trial to resume with boost for prosecution
The Vatican's landmark fraud and embezzlement trial resumes after a long break on Tuesday with the beleaguered prosecution buoyed by two favourable decisions in related cases by Swiss and Italian courts.
- Middle EastFourth COVID vaccine shot raises resistance to serious illness for over-60s: Israel
- Asia PacificOne surrendered Hong Kong hamster tests COVID positive as city lockdown grows
- EuropeItaly reports 138,860 COVID cases on Sunday, 227 deaths
- United KingdomBritain reports 74,799 COVID-19 cases, 75 deaths on Sunday
- ChinaBeijing introduces more COVID measures as cases mount before Olympics
- Asia PacificNew Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern cancels her wedding amid new Omicron restrictions
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsPfizer CEO sees annual COVID vaccine rather than frequent boosters