- WorldU.S. warns of catastrophic consequences if Russia uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine, article with video
The warning came as regions held by Russia hold widely-criticized referendums on annexation. By incorporating those regions, Moscow could portray efforts to retake them as attacks on Russia itself, a warning to Kyiv and its Western allies.
- WorldGiorgia Meloni's right triumphs in Italy's election
Giorgia Meloni looks set to become Italy's first woman prime minister at the head of its most right-wing government since World War Two after leading a conservative alliance to triumph at Sunday's election.
- MarketsSterling collapses as investors fly into dollars, article with gallery
Sterling slumped to a record low on Monday, prompting speculation of an emergency response from the Bank of England, as confidence evaporated in Britain's plan to borrow its way out of trouble, with spooked investors piling in to U.S. dollars.
- Macro MattersJapan's factory activity expands at slowest pace in 20 months
Japan's factory activity growth hit a 20-month low in September, as firms struggled with a global slowdown and pressure from high energy and raw material prices that was exacerbated by a weak yen.
- Philippines' Marcos orders aid for typhoon-struck areas, five reported dead, article with galleryAsia Pacific ·
September 26, 2022 · 2:02 AM UTC
Philippine authorities rushed on Monday to distribute aid to thousands of evacuees after typhoon Noru made landfall in the capital and northern provinces, leaving at least five dead and many areas flooded.