- United KingdomUK PM Johnson faces growing pressure to resign
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was fighting to shore up his premiership on Wednesday amid a revolt by his own lawmakers who are angry over a series of lockdown parties in Downing Street.
- Macro MattersUK inflation hits near 30-year high, pressuring BoE and households
Inflation in Britain rose faster than expected to a near 30-year high in December, intensifying a squeeze on living standards and putting pressure on the Bank of England to raise interest rates again.
- MarketsMorning Bid: Goldman Sachs adds another layer of stress
A look at the day ahead from Julien Ponthus.
- Asia PacificAustralia calls on backpackers to help ease Omicron-fuelled labour shortage
Australia threw out an invitation to backpackers on Wednesday, seeking reinforcements for a workforce crippled by an Omicron COVID-19 outbreak as the country's health system creaks under the pandemic's strain with more deaths predicted in weeks ahead.
- Aerospace & DefenseAirlines scramble to rejig schedules amid U.S. 5G rollout concerns
- EuropeGermany surpasses 100,000 daily COVID-19 cases for first time
- EuropeAre hospital admissions still the best way to gauge the COVID crisis?
- Future of HealthExplainer: N95? KF94? Which mask is best at protecting against COVID-19
- United StatesU.S. website to order free COVID-19 tests is now up and running
- ChinaThousands in Hong Kong volunteer to adopt hamsters amid COVID-19 fears
- Asia PacificJapan widens COVID-19 curbs as Omicron drives record infections
- The Great RebootU.S. CDC warns against travel to 22 destinations over COVID-19