Significant damage was reported along the western coast of Tonga's main island on Tuesday following the weekend's massive volcanic eruption and tsunami, but a closed airport and downed communications are hampering international relief efforts.
- United StatesTexas synagogue hostages had offered their captor tea
Worshippers invited a stranger into a Texas synagogue when he knocked on their door and offered him tea before he brandished a gun and held them hostage in a 10-hour siege the FBI called a "terrorism-related matter, in which the Jewish community was targeted."
- BusinessHorta-Osorio's broken promise the final straw at embittered Credit Suisse
After taking over as chairman of Credit Suisse, Antonio Horta-Osorio pledged to develop a culture of personal accountability at the Swiss bank following a string of scandals.
- United StatesLawsuit against Amazon filed in tornado swarm that left 6 dead in Illinois warehouse
The family of an Amazon.com delivery truck driver in Illinois who died in December when a warehouse was destroyed by a swarm of tornadoes that killed six people there, filed a lawsuit against the online retailer on Monday over his death.
- EuropeReturn of the flu: EU faces threat of prolonged 'twindemic'
- European MarketsAnalysis: China's 'zero-COVID' campaign under strain as Omicron surges
- ChinaChinese cities on high COVID-19 alert as Lunar New Year travel season starts; Omicron spreads
- EuropeFrench COVID hospitalisations see biggest jump since Nov 2020
- United States'Upside down again': Omicron surge roils U.S. small businesses
- Asia PacificAustralia PM blames Omicron for testing woes as COVID-19 cases hit downward trend
- United KingdomCOVID review for England could come this week, early next - source