The top diplomats of Russia and the United States played down any prospect of quickly resolving their differences over Ukraine at talks they began in Switzerland on Friday, but the U.S. side still hoped the meeting could de-escalate soaring tensions.
- WorldNew Zealand ship arrives with water for parched Tonga
A New Zealand navy ship carrying 250,000 litres of water arrived in Tonga on Friday, bringing life-saving supplies for the South Pacific archipelago six days after it was devastated by a volcanic eruption and tsunami that polluted its water sources.
- MarketsMorning Bid: The bears are taking control
A look at the day ahead from Dhara Ranasinghe.
- EuropeAnalysis: German big business piles pressure on Lithuania in China row
Lithuania is under pressure from German companies to back down in a dispute with China to end a blockade of the Baltic state, as European trade officials struggle to defuse the row, people familiar with the matter said.
- Media & Telecom'Bat Out of Hell' singer Meat Loaf dies aged 74
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsAnalysis: How Omicron highlights fading hope of herd immunity from COVID
- Asia PacificAs Japan infections surge, so does risk of pandemic fatigue
- SportsOlympics Beijing Games torch relay confined to closed venues due to COVID
- EuropeSputnik V shows higher Omicron-antibody levels than Pfizer in preliminary study
- Asia PacificHong Kong warns people to stop trying to prevent COVID hamster cull
- WorldA divided nation: Western Australia stays shut as COVID deaths mount in east
- United StatesU.S. to require COVID vaccines for essential workers crossing borders