The family of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and their supporters, some shouting, “Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Voter suppression has got to go,” marched in Washington on Monday urging passage of a law to protect voters from racial discrimination.
- United StatesRabbi threw chair at Texas synagogue hostage-taker before escaping
A rabbi who was among four Jewish congregants taken captive at a Dallas-area synagogue said on Monday that he and others managed to escape after he threw a chair at the hostage-taker and then rushed for an exit door.
- Retail & ConsumerDove soap maker Unilever signals pursuit of GSK consumer arm; shares fall
Unilever signalled on Monday it would pursue a deal for GSK's consumer business, calling it a "strong strategic fit", but Unilever shares slid more than 8%, highlighting investors' doubts about its 50-billion-pound ($68.4 billion) offer.
- EnvironmentDistress signal prompts U.N. concern after Tonga volcanic eruption
A distress signal has been detected in an isolated, low-lying group of islands in the Tonga archipelago following Saturday's massive volcanic eruption and tsunami, the United Nations said, prompting particular concern for its inhabitants.
- EuropeReturn of the flu: EU faces threat of prolonged 'twindemic'
- European MarketsAnalysis: China's 'zero-COVID' campaign under strain as Omicron surges
- ChinaChinese cities on high COVID-19 alert as Lunar New Year travel season starts; Omicron spreads
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsPfizer to boost COVID-19 pill production with French deal
- United States'Upside down again': Omicron surge roils U.S. small businesses
- Asia PacificAustralia PM blames Omicron for testing woes as COVID-19 cases hit downward trend
- United KingdomCOVID review for England could come this week, early next - source