- WorldU.S. Senate approves bill to fight climate change, cut drug costs in win for Biden, article with video
Democrats hope its passage, ahead of an August recess, will help the party's House and Senate candidates in the November midterm elections at a time when President Biden is suffering from anemic public approval ratings amid high inflation.
- WorldUkraine power plant shelled again, Zelenskiy rails at Russian 'nuclear terror'
Ukraine said renewed Russian shelling damaged three radiation sensors and hurt a worker at the Zaporizhzhia power plant, in the second hit in consecutive days on Europe's largest nuclear facility.
- WorldIsrael and Palestinian militants declare Gaza truce, article with video
Israel and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad agreed to a Cairo-mediated truce to take effect late on Sunday, raising hopes of an end to the most serious flare-up on the Gaza frontier in more than a year.
- WorldU.N. chief Guterres: Risk of nuclear confrontation is back after decades
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Monday that the risk of nuclear confrontation had returned after decades, calling on nuclear states to commit to no first use of the weapons.
A year after a wildfire destroyed Lytton, residents grapple with difficult choices
- Analysis: With Taiwan drills, Xi tries to salvage Pelosi crisis, article with imageWorld ·
August 8, 2022 · 1:20 AM UTC
Chinese President Xi Jinping may not have been able to stop Nancy Pelosi's visit to Taiwan, but he ordered his country's military to rehearse a much more aggressive step: a blockade crucial to taking the island by force, security experts say.