In public, the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange said it welcomed government oversight. Behind the scenes, Binance was withholding information from regulators and acting against its own compliance department’s recommendations.
- WorldU.S. and Russia agree to keep talking after meeting on Ukraine
The top U.S. and Russian diplomats made no major breakthrough at talks on Ukraine on Friday but agreed to keep talking to try to resolve a crisis that has stoked fears of a military conflict.
- MarketsMorning Bid: The bears are taking control
A look at the day ahead from Dhara Ranasinghe.
- Aerospace & DefenseAirbus revokes Qatar order for 50 A321 jets as rift widens
Airbus on Thursday raised the stakes in a dispute with major customer Qatar Airways over grounded and undelivered A350 jets by announcing it had revoked a separate contract for 50 smaller A321neo jets the airline plans to use for new routes.
- The Great RebootIs COVID retreating in the U.S.? Data paints encouraging scenario
- United KingdomUK designates Omicron sub-lineage a variant under investigation
- Asia PacificAs Japan infections surge, so does risk of pandemic fatigue
- EuropeEU told to prepare for fourth COVID vaccine doses, if needed
- EuropeGerman health min sees possible tripling of COVID infections by mid-Feb -sources
- WorldA divided nation: Western Australia stays shut as COVID deaths mount in east